I couldn’t find one of my favorite books on prayer.
- I looked on my “favorite books” shelf in my bedroom. Not there.
- On my “recently read” shelf. Nope.
- On the “retired-to-the-basement-but-too-loved-to-get-rid-of” shelf. Not there either. At least not the first time I looked.
But on the third look, it was there in the basement. On the shelf I had looked at twice earlier.
Do you ever do that? Look right over the thing you’re looking for?
I know I do that with God.
As I’m looking for peace, I sometimes look right over God. Or in my search for contentment, I’ll ponder truths about Jesus, instead of look at Jesus, who is present with me all the time.
With my book, I thought I remembered it with a white cover. So I looked for white.
But it was blue.
Only when I stopped looking for white and started looking for any color with the right title—the true words—did I find it.
Sometimes Jesus doesn’t look like I what I’m searching for either. If I’m not careful, I’ll look right over him.
But he is what I’m looking for. What I need. Every time. When I see him, he is life. He is healing. He makes me whole.
To continue discovering more about him, I hope I’ll never stop looking.
* * *
Does Jesus ever show up differently than what you expect? Please share in the comments.
- Links, Books, and Other Things I Love – April 2017
- Holy Spirit – Still Active Today or Not?